Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Master of Disguise

OMG, y'all! This week's episode of Top Chef reminded me of why I fell in love w/ the show in the 1st place.

Buuuuuuut, Kevin is still bitching that Alex didn't pull his weight last week. Sheesh! Give it a rest, already!

For the Quickfire Challenge, the cheftestants were greeted by Padma & repeat guest judge and Top Chef Masters cheftestant, Wylie Dufresne. The cheftestants were given a mystery box of a fish, fava beans & canned hominy. Cook cook cook. And guess what?! Another mystery box arrives of squid and black garlic. Please keep in mind, the cheftestants must use all the ingredients in each mystery box that arrives. Here comes another one of ramps & passionfruit. And finally the last box arrives w/ jicama. And sucking it were Alex (learn to focus, dude!) and his rockfish & fava bean puree over ramp fondue & sauteed squid and also Amanda's oily mess of bass, squid fricasse, & leek and mushroom fondue. A bad day for fondues! And the winner was Tiffany's fish stew.

For the Elimination Challenge, the cheftestants had to reinvent ("disguise") a classic dish. Fun!

If I could just go off on a personal tangent for a moment.... Ed has a girlfriend! Hey man, maybe wanna ease off of flirting w/ Tiffany? Plus, I don't think she's gonna be that thrilled w/ you for saying she's a nag about wanting to go on vacation! Also, Amanda thinks she would make a good spy. Hmmmmm......you still sniffing crank, Amanda?

Here's the breakdown: Ed = chicken cordon bleu. He made it inside out which I actually think this is a cop out. I think I might be prejudiced because I'm not a cordon bleu fan.
Kelly = Kung Pow shrimp. I wasn't aware this was an American classic. Anyways, Kelly did an awesome job of disguising it as a soup. I think I might be turning into a Kelly fan.
Tiffany = gyro. She made all upscale and not sandwichy. Kudos but I'm not feeling her.
Kevin = Cobb salad. He made a salad, good disguise , chumpy!
Amanda = French onion soup. She did a "Kevin" & made soup. And poorly at that!
Angelo = beef wellington. Soggy pre-made puff pastry.
Alex = veal parm. He had a great disguise, he even made his own pasta. But he over cooked the veal. Unforgivable!

Tiff won, Kelly got robbed! Alex was sent home :( Work on that technique, my friend.

Amanda yr days are numbered!!!

4 comments:

Just A. Girl said...

Hasn't Tiffany won something else for her stew? They seem to always been talking about her tasty broth. (Wait, does that somehow sound dirty?)

Stacy said...

Oooo...not watching this one. I've been watching Master Chef all night.

phairhead said...

JAG: dirty broth, dirty rice, dirty martini ;)

Ace: i missed this past season of Top Chef :(

Jon in Albany said...

I was really impressed with Kelly and the disguised Kung Pow chicken. Reading the ingredients on a jar of sauce was very quick thinking.

Amanda's soup really didn't look that good. And maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I think without Kenny pushing Angelo to come with the best he's got, Angelo bought frozen puff pastry and didn't know if he was coming or going.