Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Last Supper

In an effort to get ahead on my recapping duties, I'm here to serve up another heaping helping of Top Chef.

For the Quickfire Challenge, the cheftestants had to prepare eggs for guest judge and molecular gastronomist Wylie Dufresne. He's a kookster avant garde chef but really likes him some breakfast. Bottom of pile were Fabio and his quail egg on mini buckwheat pancake and coconut panna cotta with mango puree made to look like a sunny side up egg. Plus lychee soup served in a hollowed out egg shell. BLECHY! And also he didn't use any, ya know, EGGS, since that what was the point of this challenge. And my girly Leah with her quail egg in potato with caviar and brioche w/ ricotta and bacon Hollandaise. I would eat around the caviar. However, the potato was too heavy and greasy. Awww : ( The winner was Carla her "green" eggs and ham, fried eggs with spinach in the whites to make them green and green tomato salsa w/ jalapeno. Meh. But Wylie liked the less is more approach. Carla was the only cheftesant to only make a one component dish. Carla wins a advantage for the Elimination Challenge.

And for the Elimination Challenge, the cheftesants picked knives from the knife block o' doom. MUHAHAHAHAHA!!! Each cheftestant choose a prominent name from the culinary world and had to cook them their "last" meal. My fave concept so far this competition! Immediately, I thought of what I would want to eat for the last time. After careful consideration, I would go w/ medium rare fillet mignon w/ bleu cheese and caramelized onions, garlic mashed potatoes, lima beans, a black and white cookie and a large chai. As Quickfire winner Carla had the ability to take someone's person. But she stuck w/ Jacques Pepin and his roast squab w/ peas. I love Jacques too! Great chef and fun to watch on PBS. PBS is good for you, children.

And finally winning was Signore Fabio and his roast chicken, roast potatoes and spinach salad for Lidia Bastianich, the Italian chef lady on another PBS program. I have to say, I was happy for the Fabio. He had to carve a chicken w/ a broken finger. Congrats. And going home was *SOB SOB* Leah for making Wylie Dufresne unhappy again with another bad egg dish. I'm sorry to see her go : (

Onto the finale, go Hosea!

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Hosea? You're insane. He SUCKS.