Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yr Standing on my Neck

Hurray Hurray! Daria the complete series is now available on DVD. I watched the show faithfully right up until the final season. When I was in college, it was part of Monday night ritual to eat crap and watch Daria. I would have eaten crap anyway but Daria legitimised it.

And when Daria betrayed her best friend, Jane, I felt like I was watching television history.

And boy, that show has not lost it's punch. I finally was able to see the last episode ever, "Boxing Daria" and I cried. Daria finally confronts her inner demons, she's a brain, the other kids make fun of her and she finds solace in books. Sound familiar?

Then it got me thinking, perhaps I have not changed much. At least Daria had a Jane.

Don't mind me, just feeling misunderstood.

5 comments:

Just A. Girl said...

You've got a whole lotta readers on this blog, so my guess is that you are a lot more understood than you think.

I have never watched Daria. I should check it out on Netflix.

Roaring Lion of Two Fisted Cool said...

I never really got into Daria. But in college we used to get stoned and watch Beavis and Butthead.

phairhead said...

Lion: hey, did you read my diary?

JAG: you should. do it today :D

Albany Jane said...

Daria influenced so much of the 90s for me.

Before the set came out, I'd find them online, or re-watch VHS copies.

Sophia Walker said...

I love Daria!

It was great how they managed to capture so well a certain kind of person in Daria - someone smart and cool and jaded and real, but not in a mean girl way.

People used to tell me all the time that I WAS Daria, right down to her monotone way of speaking, which I most definitely have.

Every once in a while the dumbasses who create TV get it right.