Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Gimme a Pabst and a Shot of Whiskey

Gran Turino opened to nation wide release this weekend and SexyBeast and I took in a matinee this past Sunday.

Normally, I am not a huge Eastwood fan but rumours abound that this is his last movie ever. Plus, we just watched The Eiger Sanction last month and I was thoroughly intrigued about Gran Turino since it's been garnering such great reviews.

This film did not disappoint. Eastwood was as surly and grizzled as ever! He had some great lines, though I did flinch at the excessive use of racial slurs he muttered every two minutes. It was a seemingly simple story of a man in the twilight of his life. But as w/ Eastwood's Oscar award winning film Million Dollar Baby, there is so much more lurking beneath. It was a compelling story of life and death and morality.

The only drawback was Eastwood's face. Christ, the man looks like a road map!

Now, get thee to the theatre....

9 comments:

Lydia said...

hey...aging happens. at least clint hasnt had a zillion face lifts, tucks, eye lid lifts, etc. he earned those wrinkles and he should be proud of 'em.

so says your friendly neighborhood makeup blogger!

phairhead said...

yr the expert : ) i'm the snark : )

M. Da Glyde Woodrow said...

Not an Eastwood fan? Man! Have you seen Mystic River? The Unforgiven? A Perfect World? Flags of Our Fathers? Letters from Iwa Jima? The list is large and powerful. At least you mentioned Million Dollar Baby! ;)Clint can flat out direct!

phairhead said...

Matt, I have no desire to see any of those movies. Possibly Mystic River. And I didn't like Million Dollar Baby.

M. Da Glyde Woodrow said...

Ouch! Sounded like you liked Million Dollar Baby. Those films are great story telling...your loss. :p

phairhead said...

I'm not saying he's not a great director, 'cause he definately has chops. I just don't care for Westerns or war movies. Hilary Swank ruined that Million Dollar for me.

Lydia said...

Now...Hillary Swank is a clear example of someone who could benefit tremendously from a little facial resculpting. She sucks. I cant watch million dollar baby b/c of her and the fact that i'm not really that into boxing...or whatever the hell that movie is about.

mystic river is amazing.

M. Da Glyde Woodrow said...

Lydia, agreed, Mystic River is amazing! Tim Robbins and Sean Penn truly make that movie, along with Clint's direction of course. Million Dollar Baby is intense, Morgan Freeman coupled with Clint Eastwood is movie gold! Nothing could ruin that one for me. I'm still a big fan of The Unforgiven (my favorite Eastwood direction). To simply call it a "western" is like calling Catch 22 a war novel. Those labels just don't give the stories the credit they deserve.

phairhead said...

Mystic River is on my queue. The Unforgiven was too bloody for me to get through, too stark. Not good for my brain.