Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Voice of God

Last week, SB & I had date night. A leisurely stop at Van's Vietnamese for my usual summer rolls. SB had the spring rolls. As I wasn't in a pho mood, I had the grilled lemon grass chicken. Moist and delicious!

Onto Barnes & (Ig)Noble for a tasty treat. I wanted a Vivanno but they have a limited menu at the B&N Starbucks. So I reluctantly settled for a gigantic chocolate chip and peanut butter cup cookie & perused the magazine section.

And the best was saved for last, Laurie Anderson at EMPAC. For those of you not in the know, Laurie is a musician, artist and inventor. I got her seminal and groundbreaking CD "Big Science" the autumn of 2001. To say it resonated and scared me all at the same time, would be an understatement. I got to her perform that following year. It was all spoken word, though in my eyes it seemed like storytelling. Dark but funny.

This time around, Ms. Anderson was show casing her new live piece "Delusion". She played her electric violin (which she invented!) & synthesiser while small film clips played in the background. She spoke about death and punctuation and the decline of America. What freaked me out was her scary voice modulator! It sounded like a demonic god. Oh and I should mention, Laurie has a voice like molasses. Slow and deliberate.

It was the first time I had been to EMPAC. It's like being inside a piece of modern/post-modern sculpture.

Check out her new CD "Homeland"!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Goddess, I haven't thought of Laurie in years! I remember her song "Superman." Very fun post :)

phairhead said...

Wendy: thanks! "Superman" is a classic :-)