Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Are there Margaret? it's me Sue.

I don't think I can ever forgive Canada for giving us Loverboy, Alanis Morrisette and back bacon. It's ham for god sakes! But I can give our neighbors to the north a big break when it comes to my favourite author, Margaret Atwood.

How do I love Margaret, let me count the ways:

1. She's a raging feminist, always writing provocative tales of no nonsense women who are smart, creative and sexual.

2. She's freakin' brilliant! Ms. Atwood has a background in biology, she's been speaking for the environment long before the immediate crisis has slapped the world in the face.

3. It's all in the title and she is the master of great book titles. As long as I have been writing, I've always struggled with titling my pieces. I had a writing instructor once told me the title sums up your story in concise way. Oh the pressure!

For a good time, check out Oryx & Crake, The Handmaid's Tale, Cat's Eye, The Robber Bride and The Blind Assassin. Watch out for her cryptic endings, they make you crave her writing more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Margaret Atwood! Jeeze, not only did I think you were amazing for Cheech, but now you're amazing in general. :)


Oh, and just so you don't think I'm wierd-- I'm Heather, from the paintball field. You told G and I about your Blog and I was bored & randomly decided to check it out. I'm glad I did!

M. Da Glyde Woodrow said...

Don't be so harsh on Alanis, she played an awesome God in "Dogma!" Who else can play that playful side of God so well?

phairhead said...

Hi Heather!!! Thanks for reading my blog. Tell G I said hey. kick some ass this weekend. you can e-mail me at luna_1021@hotmail.com

Smirking Cat said...

I adore Margaret Atwood! She's painfully honest, amazingly sharp, misses nothing.