Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 29, 2008

She's Crafty.....

I have just returned from 3 1/2 days in the southern Adirondacks and I am still recovering from my gall bladder surgery, so my posts are a bit askew.

Today I will be recapping Top Chef. Go w/ it people!

This week's Quickfire Challenge was to re-invent the hot dog. The cheftestants went up against a NY hot dog vendor. Radhika won immunity with her Indian inspired Sheek Kabob, lamb sausage with onions and tomato chutney. Yum yum yummy. I've had Sheek Kabob at The Sitar (the restaurant where SexyBeast and I met) and it was truly sublime when rolled into a piece of garlic naan. Bottom of the barrel was Stefan (what?!) for his multi culti dog, methinks the flavours were all over the place, and Jill for using a store bought dog and having no inspiration.

Elimination Challenge was disappointing this week. I get that the show has been going for so long and they're probably running out of ideas or maybe I'm just being a big crank. The cheftestants had to present a 3 course lunch at head judge Tom Coliccho's (Col-Dickio!) flag ship restaurant Craft (never eaten there. can't afford it) to the reject chefs that were not cast for this season's Top Chef. Ehhh. Lame idea.

The chefs assigned themselves to present an app, entree, or dessert.

Winning this week was Fabio for his beef carpaccio with grilled lemon and spherical olives appetizer (every time I see or hear that word I think of Starvin' Marvin of South Park fame). I've never had a carpaccio, as I understand it, its like raw jerky. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not really liking Fabio. He's kinda a sexist European douche. And packing their knives and going home was Jill for making crappy ostrich egg quiche. A food she had never cooked w/ before and she had no clear idea of a dish to present before she went to the market. Disaster! There is always a pattern. Fuck up at Quickfire and Elimination and it's game over.

I'll be serving up another Top Chef recap on Wednesday.

No comments: