Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Yesteryear

Winter is my demon season. I suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Not really sure what my problem is for the other 3 seasons. But I digress.

When I get into these moods, I start getting nostalgic for my childhood. I re-read the Harry Potter series, I buy Hello Kitty products (5 dollar shirt @ Hot Topic!! my sale of the week) and watch cartoons obsessively.

I may be dating myself but these are my standout recollections for this week.

1. That Sesame Street book w/ the chocolate chip cookie tree. COOKIE!

2. Pinwheel from the early days of Nickelodeon. I'm obsessing about 2 cartoon shorts. One was about a little girl witch named Carrie and she had 2 bitchy older witch sisters and she scared the pants off them at the end. Sweet sweet cartoon revenge. "Hey! Hey! I'll get you!" The other was from a Scandinavian country about a boy that meets up w/ the North Wind. I'm dying to watch these again!

I was actually doing some light scouring of the interwebs the other night and I some what satisfied my fix by watching King Rollo, Hatty Town, the intro to Simon and the Land of the Drawings and Emily ("big brother Stephen, little sister Pat and my hedgehog Humphrey").

Anyone else wistful? Is this bringing back any memories?

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Being as I'm home in Texas, staying at my mom's which is the house I grew up in, yeah, I'm nostalgic. I went through the attic yesterday and found a bunch of old toys, most of which we had to throw away. It was sad to see that my mom's attic had turned into a little toy cemetery.

Dijea said...

Holly Hobbie was my generation my sister got Hello Kitty. Sigh....I'm old.

I got a little teary eyed and all nostalgic watching a clip from the Electric Company with Morgan Freeman this week. OMG - talk about taking me back.

phairhead said...

les: toy graveyard sound beautiful and haunting

dijea: my whole room was Holly Hobbie when i was 3! and nothing could come between me and blonde guy on Electric
Company. you can down load the epis on hulu. good times :D

Lydia said...

We are the same age and I only sorta remember pinwheel from the list you made. i was a jetsons girl. Oh, and he-man. of course.

You should re-watch some Pete & Pete. I loved that show. Little Pete was too cute. Loved his f-off attitude.

phairhead said...

actually i re-watched it this past spring.

"outta the way cheddar head!"

The Girl Least Likely To said...

The winter season is hard for me as well. I get very nostalgic and I usually want to be alone. Convincing myself not to ditch my family on holidays is one of the hardest parts!I comfort myself by watching a lot of 'Keeping Up Appearances'.

phairhead said...

Mrs. Bucket :D that actress is a riot!

The Girl Least Likely To said...

Yes! I love her! "It's Bouquet,B-U-C-K-E-T"