Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Who's got the Crack?

I have a little spring in my step, which quite strange as I have a head cold that won't quit and had a looooooonnnnnnggg ass day at work. I owe it all to Ms. Kimya Dawson. Like most Americans I never listened to her or many other projects (Moldy Peaches, Antsy Pants, et.al.) until the Juno soundtrack came out. (see an older post re: Michael Sera) She's quirky and smart and complicated. I admire her song writing style, they may sound like nursery rhymes but they are so textured and full of joy, pain, angst and everything in between. She's kinda like that kid you went to high school with that completely off beat and reveled in it.


You know what else I love about Kimya, she's totally not a conventional beauty, however, there's something haunting and graceful about her. Plus, she has the world's chubbiest, happiest baby named Panda.

I'm kicking myself for not going to her show to support The Albany New School but as I remember, I was running on empty that particular week and I had already spent my hard earned bucks on going to a screening of the Joe Strummer documentary. Joe is number one in my book. Please keep yr eyes peeled for an upcoming Clash post. Not to mention the show was mid-week. Kimya please I'm an old lady that has to work for a living, keep yr shows limited to the weekends.

Gotta go and finish off my day w/ a bottle of Nyquil.

2 comments:

Smirking Cat said...

I have Metallica stuck in my head today...probably a totally different sound than what is bouncing in yours. I never heard of this woman, but I live in my own world. I'll have to check out her music.

phairhead said...

it's kinda weird acoustic aggressive music. enjoy!