Total Pageviews

Monday, January 16, 2012

Mrs. Peacock in the Library with the Candlestick

Sometime around Thanksgiving, my SIL, "Tamantha" & I, were discussing the game Clue (or Cluedo if you are so inclined). She had purchased Clue Jr. for my niece and nephew & they were thoroughly enjoying it. Tamantha & I played a round, there was no murder but it was a cute beginners version of the game I sincerely adore.

For Christmas, I gave Tamantha & my brother Pablo,  another version of Clue...Clue the travel card game. Fun & cute but it only whet my ravenous appetite to play THE REAL DEAL. Lucky for me, my other brother's girls had brought up Clue for our annual after Christmas get together in the Adirondacks.

It was like I stepped into the Twilight Zone! The characters were changed, the rooms were different, the rules of the game were more complicated. WHY? Why is Miss White no longer an old frail serving wench? Where did the library go? Why are there extra weapons, one of which looks suspiciously like an Emmy Award? A little piece of my childhood died.

The other day, my in-laws invited me to poke around their newly organized basement to unload some of SB's crap he left behind & to see if wanted any of their used junk. Lo and behold! there SB's old game of Clue. I was slightly disappointed that it was the re-worked 80s version of the graphics on the box & on the game cards & game board. They used illustrations rather than photographs but at least it kept the integrity of the original look of the characters.

The lead pipe was missing, we used a penny in its place.


4 comments:

Jon in Albany said...

I played a round of Clue this summer when we were on vacation. I'm closer to Inspector Clousseau than Lieutenant Columbo.

phairhead said...

"My pet minkey!"

Sophia Walker said...

Funny enough I played Clue this summer as well. It's changed a lot since I was young.

phairhead said...

My obsession is forcing me to go my parents' hunt down my old Clue game from the 70s