Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Let's Eat

You'll have to forgive me, I've had 2 glasses of pinot grigio and I'm singing Morrissey loudly to Squeaky and SB.

Wanna hear something weird? I went out w/ SB, Albany Jane and Albany John. Wait wait. That's not the weird part. I ordered pork and string beans in garlic sauce (taking a page out of the Profusser's book and loading up on the legumes) at Shining Rainbow. But they brought me eggplant instead, my most hated of all the vegetable-dom. Silver lining: they let us keep it for free. And Shining Rainbow needs to rename the garlic sauce to "AWESOME SAUCE". Then we had gelato at Cristan's. SB wanted to know the difference betwixt gelato and ice cream. I said shut up and eat it. GO and try the coconut. It's delicious and refreshing.

Then more green beans w/ dinner on Saturday along w/ the awesome awesome venison speidies SB made.

And, hey, more green beans at Canali's for SB's grandmother's birthday, along w/ meatballs the size of my head.

For the lovely and talented Albany Jane, here is my recipe for chicken and rice w/ cilantro poblano sauce.

3/4 chopped green onions, divided
1/4 chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp pepper, divided
14 oz chicken broth, divided
1 poblano chili chopped and seeded
2 minced garlic cloves, divided
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
8 oz mushrooms (i used peas 'cause I hate mushrooms)
1 C uncooked rice
1/2 C water
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp parsley (or a generous shake of dried)
1 tbsp butter (I like Smart Balance)
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 tsp olive oil
3/4 C cherry or grape tomatoes halved

1) Combine 1/4 C green onions, cilantro, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1/2 broth, poblano, and 1 garlic clove in a food processor. Blend until smooth

2) Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Add 1/4 onions, mushrooms (peas!), and remaining garlic to pan and saute 2 mins. Add cilantro mixture, remaining 1 1/4 C broth, rice, water, and cumin to pan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 mins or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, keep cover and let stand 5 mins. Add parsley and fluff.

3) Heat 1 tbsp oil and butter to large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken w/ remaining salt and pepper. Add to chicken to pain and cook aprox. 5 mins on each side. Remove from heat and cut chicken into slices. Add to rice mixture.

4) Heat 1 tsp oil to small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1/4 C onions and tomatoes, saute 2 mins. Add to rice mixture.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

J. said...

Ohh this sounds good! I might be attempting not to burn this tonight :)

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

phairhead said...

I burned the rice a little! I keep forgetting how hot my gas stove is & it gets hotter w/ cast iron pans

Just A. Girl said...

Yum, makes me hungry.

phairhead said...

JAG: muhahahaha! You figured out my master plan ;)

Albany Jane said...

Thank you!

I'll use extra mushrooms to make up for the ones you hate.

Albany Jane said...

Oh, and it was awesome hanging out with you guys too! (I should probably work on my manners and such).

Let's do it again!

phairhead said...

AJ: pshaw! You have good manners :D
we had a blast! & i have wine for sangria ; )