Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Good, the Bad and the Snowy

Last month SexyBeast and I watched Fargo. SexyBeast had never seen it! And I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that film. Frances McDormand was definitely deserving of the Best Actress Oscar that year. And what I picked up this time was use of the negative space. The frigid Minnesotan winter, the expanse of the countryside. Desolate somber back drop to a hilarious and incredibly violent movie. The scene where Peter Stormere ruthlessly murders 3 people on the cold lonely road was hauntingly beautiful. When I see a really great movie, I never want it to end. Then I think of a million great scenarios for "sequel".

Conversely, the next evening we watched X-Files: I Want to Believe. Loved the title, loved the trailer. This was garbage and I'm really glad I never spent the money to see it at the theatre. There was nothing eerie, thought provoking or shocking about any of it. I don't know, there was a lot missing. The story felt half assed and worst of all David Duchovny shaved off his skanky sexy beard 1/4 way through the movie. Much as the snow and cold were characters in Fargo, as was in X-Files. Except like everything else in this piece of shit, this character was badly drawn and under developed.

SexyBeast now has many other Cohen brothers movies on his queue.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I honestly have never been able to see what makes Fargo so great. Meh. To each his own, though.

Dijea said...

I love the Cohen brothers, although there have been a few that I could have done without.

Big Lebowski is probably my favorite with O'Brother & Raising Arizona 2nd & 3rd. I should do a weekend of the Cohen brothers.

Thought the same about the X-files too.

Anonymous said...

I hated Fargo the first time I saw it, so did my husband, but we both enjoy it now. I am originally from ND and have been to MN many, many times - that kind of puts a different spin on it :)

Lydia said...

Ok--I have to agree with Leslie. I can't get through Fargo. Ugh. Maybe I just have a long standing dislike of snow that clouds my judgment.

phairhead said...

Sometimes the Cohens have an inaccessible weirdness. understandable : )