Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Good Doctor

When I was 19, I saved up enough filthy lucre to purchase my first pair of Doc Marten's. Doc Marten's, so mysterious and British and had awesome street cred. I shoved on black 8 eyelet boots and I felt whole. Of course, at the Jeans West where I bought them, they only sold men's size shoes. But I didn't care. I bought men's size 6, only to realize that it was European sizing. Long story short: they were GIGANTIC on me. But I wore them everywhere w/ everything for about 6 years.

My first job out of college was for Planned Parenthood & several people complained about my Doc's because they were, for lack of a better word, very care worn. But I was not defeated, I got a pair of navy blue 8 eyelets WOMAN'S boots. I wore them consistently for 4 years and then, and then, I don't know. I lost weight, I wanted to stop being angry and hiding.

So, now I have silver/blue Doc Marten "hush puppies", black Mary Jane Doc Marten's, brown Doc Marten dress shoes, and Doc Marten sandals.

But I keep thinking there something major missing from my life. I need some bad ass boots.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I already posted on your FB, but here I am too!

My first pair were a black pair of boots that were too big for me - but like you, I was desperate to have a pair. I think I was 14 when I got them? Next up was a pair of red ones, and then a pair of brown low ones. (I got those all in high school, thanks to the magic of layaway.) Then I got my green pair of boots and a pair of Mary Janes sometime in my first two years of college. I still have those last two pairs, but the others I gave away.

I wore the green ones for Charlie's one year photo shoot but since my feet grew a bit when I was pregnant with him, they were pretty uncomfortable. You'll have to let me know if you're interested in these. They are in great shape and they need a good home, but I don't know how you feel about used shoes.

phairhead said...

yes interested. very interested!

Just A. Girl said...

Bad ass boots give a girl (and I assume a guy too) confidence. A worthy investment.

phairhead said...

JAG: very true :D

The Girl Least Likely To said...

Ahhh, Dr. Martens! They've been very much a part of my life ever since I was 13.

Like everyone, I started off with my black 8-hole boots and wore them with EVERYTHING much to the dismay of my parents.

Once I got a little older, my taste in clothing evolved but my shoe preference didn't. I went from black docs, to burgundy, white, brown and blue. I mixed it up a little and started wearing maryjanes.

To this very day, that's all I wear. Since I work in an office, I've mostly stuck to wearing maryjanes but the last few weeks, I've been nostalgic and shopping around for the original black 8-hole boots.

I thought it was something I'd outgrow but I've come to realization that my shoes are very much a part of who I am.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only girl who feels comfortable, confident in docs. They might not be the girliest or sexiest shoes but they definitely make a statement.

Keep on rocking 'em!