Total Pageviews

Friday, July 30, 2010

Compare & Contrast

OK, peeps, this week's Metroland had staff picks of the best of the Capital District. For those of you who don't like the Albany/Schenectady/Troy area of NY, the Metroland is the free weekly alternative newspaper.

Here's their picks & my commentary (not all of them, the post would be 5 years long if I did that):

Best American Restaurant: New World Bistro Bar
My mother has been there and RAVED about it. It's on my "to eat" list

Best Steakhouse: The Bears'
My in-laws had their wedding reception there & I am planning on going there in the very near future. Gotta get me some of the chateaubriand!

Best Vegetarian: Antipasto's
I gotta say, I'm very intrigued as Antipasto's also snagged some other best of honours

Best Pizza (Sch'dy County): Fireside
Hell yeah!!! Great pizza, sandwiches and wings. I've been going there since I was 5. Highly highly recommended

Best Pizza (Renss. County): Red Front
Planning on a lunch date there in a few weeks

Best Fusion: The Hidden Cafe
Still can't figure out why I can't seem to get over there

Best Polish: Muza
SB says we don't need to pay for Polish food because we can get it for free from Nana. I say different!

Best Mexican: Salsa Latina
Bright, fresh flavours, love love love. It has now edged out Pancho's as my #2 Mexican joint. It's hard to top El Loco.

Best Indian: Karavalli
This is my families preference. I would rather go to Taj Mahal in downtown Schenectady. If I've got coupons, then we go to Sitar.

Best Thai: Capital Thai
Nope, Bangkok Bistro is sooooooo much better!

Best Vietnamese: Van's
You better fucking believe it! Hmmmm summer rolls :D

Best Chinatown Chinese: Emperor's
Holy Jesus, yes! Porky ball goodness

Best Suburban Chinese: Plum Blossom
I've always liked the name, maybe it's time to try it out.

Best Japanese Steakhouse: Koto
Everybody likes a good show w/ their food. Just don't order any cocktails unless you want to be embarrassed by gigantic fruit and day glo colours.

Best Brew Pub: Brown's
Yummy raspberry ale and totally cozy.

Best Barbecue: Capital Q Smokehouse
I'm reserving comment until I've tried The Pig Pit. But my southern grandfather in law makes some pretty kick ass Tennessee 'cue

Best Lunch: Iron Gate Cafe
I pass it every time I have to take someone to Social Services. It reminds me of the book The Secret Garden.

Best Deli: Gershon's
Their knishes are delicious

Best Subs: Andy's Imports
They use a whole loaf of bread & pounds of meat. And they do roast beast the right way, w/ Russian dressing, not icky mayo.

Best Burgers: Oliver's Cafe
SB's family fave but they're only open until 2 pm & I'm a busy gal on the go. Considering putting it on the list.

Best Tacos: Bros. Tacos
Nope, Badass Burrito all the way

Best Cheap Eats: Bombers
Eat there when you are not in a cranky mood.

Best Coffeehouse: Uncommon Grounds
God damn right! Chai, hot chocolate, iced tea, YEAH YEAH YEAH. Bagels, soup, salad, OMG YEAH.

Best Ribs: Jose Malone's
Good nachos, not had an opportunity to try the ribs

Best Restaurant Transition: Debbie's Kitchen
What? Debbie's not there anymore? When? Who wants a brownie the size of Toronto? Me, please.

Best Hard (hee hee!) Ice Cream old school style (whatever that means): Stewart's Shops
Bring back Tinny Roof! I loves me some Stewart's ice cream and it's always on sale.

Best Soft Ice Cream: The Snowman
Not usually a soft fan but this is tops.

Best Gelato Villa Italia
That honour belongs to Crisan. I spit on Villa Italia!

Best Desserts: Crisan
Yes and also my mother's bakery The Pastry Pantry

Best Beer Store: Oliver's
On par w/ Glenville Beverage

Best Food Co-op: Honest Weight
Too pricy, I prefer Niskayuna Co-op. Best burgers ever!

Best Farmers Market: Troy
Agreed, Schenectady is getting there.

Best Neighborhood Market: Cardona's
Great selection of import items

Best Butcher: Rolf's
You can't beat their knockwurst. Sol's in Schenectady is really fucking awesome too!

Best Bakery for Bread: Perreca's
Obviously

Best Bakery for Confections: Villa Italia
Ick! Yuck! Pastry Pantry all the way

Best Kitchen Supply Store: Different Drummer
Too bad I'm not rich. If only...

Best Booktique: Open Door
If I could move in there, I would.

Best Used Bookstore: The Book Barn
I had no idea this place existed! Hurray!!!

Best Record Store: Last Vestige
Oh much money I have given that place

Best Commercial Radio Station: WEQX
Is there any other station worth listening to?

Best Refuge from the Upcoming Zombie Apocalypse:
Oh geez! Not you too!

Best Albany Bar: Wolff's Biergarten
The boot, the boot, the boot. Yup yup!

Best Troy Bar: Ryan's Wake
Great atmosphere.

Best Schenectady Bar: 20 North Broadway
Ever since my bartender left The Grog Shoppe, I need a new place to drink.

Best Neighborhood Movie Theatre: Madison Theatre
Sorry, Bowtie is oh so much better!

I promise photos of the garden and lawn furniture is on the way.

5 comments:

Albany Jane said...

Oh that's it. Salsa Latina is on my list.

Debbie's is still there. They just changed ownership. Debbie sold it to a new owner. But he's pretty much kept it the same, a good thing!

phairhead said...

AJ: dude! I told Chris I would buy him dinner cause I went there w/out him. he craves the mole like a wild man!

Long live the Debbie's Toronto sized brownie!

Just A. Girl said...

Yum... this makes me HUNGRY. Too bad I don't live nearby. I haven't tried Polish food before.

phairhead said...

JAG: lots of nummy nummy sausages & meaty yumminess!

Green Peccadilloes said...

I too have no idea why I haven't been to Hidden Cafe yet - this was a good reminder!